Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First posts are lame

Dictionary.com gives ten definitions for the word 'static', none of them connoting anything particularly awesome. Here are the most widely known:

"3. Lacking movement, development, or vitality"
"6. noting or pertaining to atmospheric electricity interfering with radar, radio, the sending and receiving of wireless messages, etc." (ugh, this definition makes less sense than the word does.)

Static, therefore, probably isn't anything you want to associate with either your favorite hockey team, or your upcoming ramblings about them. Maybe it was a subconscious move on my part to sort of preemptively explain away the fact that my writing is very likely to straddle that divide between wordily boring (three paragraphs already, and I've only said hockey once! (now twice!)) and an endless stream of white noise babble.

So we've basically named our blog "Stagnation" or "Fuzzy unclarity", but hopefully that's just a coincidence.

To be perfectly honest, our second choice for a name, Hocketown Underground, was vetoed based on the fact that "underground" would imply a sort of subversive edginess we were quite certain we would be entirely unable to deliver.

Who is this mysterious we?

I'm Trisha, a writing major at Grand Valley State University. I have been here almost 5 years. It has probably affected my mind. If there's a new post, it's a pretty safe bet there's homework somewhere that's not being done (like right now, when I have 12 hours to write 7,000 words. Not too bad, until you consider under normal circumstances I would be spending 10 of those hours sleeping).

Lindsay, my younger sister, is the diabolical mastermind behind the entire endeavor. She is basically holding me at gunpoint to write this thing. She has plans. Oh, does she ever have plans. First I am to use my rapier wit and superb MS Paint skillz to rival The Pensblog and take over the internet. Then, upon graduation, I am to replace Mitch Albom, Helene St. James, and George Sipple to write the entire hockey section of the Detroit Free Press all by myself. As you can see, she's going to learn to be very familiar with disappointment. My guess is that this disappointment training will begin in the next few months, as she learns to deal with the frustrating torment that is The Dreaded Stanley Cup Hangover.

Because we love the Red Wings, which is primarily what this blog will be about.

Neither of us have the foggiest clue what the hell we're doing (hey look! It's a first-post before the layout's even finished!), but we're going to do it anyway, Lindsay because she has big dreams, and Trisha because she doesn't have the heart to squash them. Welcome to Hockeytown Static. Don't mind the white noise.

Or the intensely lame way I just ended this post.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

first comment wooooo! (too bad it's just me...) you won't replace them...you'll just get them coffee.. oh now that's a good image. Trisha (omg I just spelled your name wrong at LEAST five times...I hate finals) getting George Sipple coffee in the morning while Wojo giggles from across the building.