Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Off to a good start...

Wings 3, Flyers 1

Alright, so it was a pre-season game, which means it didn't really matter, technically, but I don't care. The Red Wings won a hockey game. This time of year, that's all it really takes to make me happy.

And that's really all I have to say about it.

I mean, I'm trying to keep a certain level of quality present in this blog, you know? Trying to keep it classy, and informative, and stuff, so I'd like to be able to say something, to present an intelligent opinion on something, but I... I've got nothing. It was a preseason game against the Flyers that I had to listen to on AM radio and my radio had a broken tuner, and I didn't even know about it until the start of the second period, so aside from being able to tell you who scored and gushing aimlessly about how excited I was to hear Ken Kal's voice and the sound of the goal horn and all 500 people at the Joe booing every time Pronger had the puck, I've got nothing.

But do I really need anything? The playoffs last year felt like they stretched on forever, game after game after game, the pressure mounting and mounting until... it was over, and I was almost relieved that I would get a break from hockey, from the tension and uncertainty and having to face the truth of how much the outcome of those games affected my mood every day. And then the off-season came, and a short three months felt like forever (part of it was probably me wanting a fresh season to start, so I could put the finals behind me) and I thought it would never end. And now the Red Wings are playing real hockey games again, against other hockey teams, in a hockey arena, and tonight they won.

Tonight the Red Wings won a hockey game. And it does matter. Because, dammit, it made me happy.

0 comments: