Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wings lose 5-2

... with Ozzie in net and is it bad that I'm having flashbacks to last season, when he let in four or five goals a game? Granted, the Wings managed to score five or six goals most of the time that happened, effectively canceling it out for the standings, so it's not like he drug us out of the playoffs (in which he totally pwned, again, so what do any of us really have to complain about?) or anything but... I think preseason's almost-hockey, the kind you can't always find broadcast and that doesn't actually count, is sort of making me antsy about stuff I probably shouldn't be worried about.

Like goalies. Whatever happened to my endless, child-like faith in Red Wing goalies? Chris Osgood let in six goals against Chicago last year and I would convince myself it was bad screening and poor defensive coverage and that he'd shutout the next game. The third goalie down in our depth chart lets in one preseason goal behind a team of prospects who haven't even cracked the AHL yet against a team we play once during the regular season, and I'm curled up in the fetal position. There's something not-right about that, and I need it to go away by October.

On a happier note, it looks like the playoffs weren't a fluke, and that Jonathan Ericsson can indeed score somewhere that isn't Rexall Place. I'm really excited about that. Look out, teams that aren't Edmonton - here he comes!

0 comments: