Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blogging from Toronto

Realistically, I never expected the Wings to sweep. They had to lose a game to the Blackhawks eventually. But then, I didn't expect them to come back from a 3-goal deficit either, so by the time they lost, my emotions had been seriously played with. Still, I feel cheated every time the Wings lose in overtime.

I guess I was lucky, in that I got to see all three Wings goals, but missed all four Blackhawks (three while we were en route to Toronto, the overtime winner while I was trying to buy chocolate glazed timbits from a real shady Tim Hortons (insult to injury - they were out)), so my actual memories of the game itself were all covered and dripping with awesomeness.

Unfortunately, the fact that I spent most of Friday evening in a car with my family, travelling through lower-Ontario under cover of night also meant that we all missed Kronwall's epic hit on Havlat. From what I've heard the consensus is that if it was a bad hit, it was only because Havlat sort of missed the puck, and other than there being no puck-touching and leaving him looking pretty dead on the ice was perfectly fine, but then, most of what I heard I heard on a sports show we don't get on Livonia Brighthouse cable where one of the in-studio guest ball-hockey players spent the entire time pretending to lick the side of Ray Scapinello's head.

But now I guess Brian Campbell is tying threatening notes to bricks and hurling them through Kronner's window. Spectacular. There are so many potential issues at hand here - Was it a clean hit? Will Havlat be ok? Will some nutbag on Chicago try anything stupid in retaliation tomorrow? Will the Hawks be bastards and tie the series? What's going on with Pavel's foot? Is Pavel's new, more relaxed Dr. Rahmani Eye Institute commerical totally better than Campbell's Sweat Centers one? (Hell yes is it.) The only thing I can think to do is look at the positive side of things.

So, the Wings losing sucks, but on the bright side, they're still up one game, and can get within one win of the Stanley Cup finals tomorrow night.

I'd tell you to go out and be happy like me based on this information alone, but that's not really fair - I kissed the Stanley Cup at the HHoF today, and am bound to have a better baseline mood than I would have otherwise. It was a day of being constantly reminded of how freaking awesome the Red Wings are - it pretty much just fixed everything.

0 comments: