Thursday, February 12, 2009

There can be little or no denying

how awesome that new page header is. I know you're trembling at the sheer force of the jpeg compression artifacts assaulting your retinas with amazingness.

Alright, well. It seems a little silly saying something about the last game when we're already more than halfway to the next game, but since we here at Hockeytown Static are thoroughly committed to showing up at least three days late to every party, I'm going to anyway.

Normally for games on FSN+, I opt to listen to Ken Kal because three hours hunched over my computer in front of a grainy feed doesn't do much for my back. This time, I went with the streaming video, available only in Nashville feed version. Not a great plan, to be honest.

- The announcers pronounced half the roster differently than I was used to hearing it (and apparently the Red Wings were giving ice time to Lindstrom again. About damn time, too. That man won the Norris Trophy.)

- It was sort of sad listening to them being excited about only being down by two after the first (I know. It was because the Wings had more shots that period than some (boring) games have between both teams after three.)

- During the last two minutes or so, when the Preds called a time-out, the camera zoomed in on Barry Trotz's head. Directly behind him was a man who had decided that the best thing to do was to sit back in his chair and spread his legs as wide as... I had a great simile for this last night, but now that my mother reads this blog, you'll have to use your imagination. His limberness was putting the goalies to shame. Trotz was centered. Perfectly centered. It was like he had one of those legs growing out of either ear.

NO!, I screamed at my computer, NOOOOO! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BARRY, DON'T YOU DARE TURN AROUND!

But he did. A visual I didn't need.

- This:


I have three things to say about this:
1. Jay Leno is a creepy man who makes bad jokes on tv late at night. Ville Leino is a really good Finnish hockey player (even though his reluctance to shoot pucks hard to the net is a constant source of frustration in Grand Rapids. Hopefully with players like Franzen, Cleary, Zetterberg, etc., who can pick up those pretty passes he makes instead, this won't matter so much.)

The point is, Jay Leno makes this joke old before you tell it, and I'm already sick of hearing it. If Ville Leino needs a nickname, I'm going with what we've been calling him since he signed with the team last summer - Violin.

2. That's the best photoshop job you can do, Nashville? I'm pretty sure I could best that, and I've only got MS Paint.

3. Sometime mid-way through the game, Lindsay called me to tell me that she was 99% sure that the neck they stuck Leno's head on belongs to Kirk Maltby. And you know what? I think she might be right:


I still don't have an answer from her as to how the hell she became so intimately familiar with Kirk Maltby's neck that she recognized it on sight. And I'm not really sure I want one.

As for the Red Wings' actual play, there were a few 'what the crap was that, guys?' moments, but mostly, they actually looked like the Red Wings out there. I'll have a moment of silence now for how truly blessed I must be to be able to be blasé about my hockey team winning five straight, two of them back-to-back shutouts, and then I'll go to bed, thinking unhappy thoughts about the Minnesota Wild.

0 comments: