Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Jimmy

On this most historic of days, Jimmy Howard turned 25 and was named Griffin's Man of the Year.

The Griffins organization will present him with "an etched crystal trophy" at the next home game on April 10th in honor of the many, many, community service projects he's been involved with this year. He will also be in the running with 29 other players "for the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year".

p.s. If you click on the link about the Man of the Year award, you get to see the Wing's prospect in a silly hat posing with a St. Bernard wearing antlers. The picture gets bigger on the homepage. If you can load it. The Griffins site has been acting up for me lately.


San Jose lost to Nashville 3-2 tonight, leaving the Sharks and the Wings tied in points with 107 a piece. Hopefully the Wings can squeak ahead of them tomorrow, not just because it would make me smile for the Wings to stay at the top of the standings (because, believe me, it would), but also because I would get to change the number on my kitchen messageboard from 387 to 388, provided Ozzie is, as everyone says he is, starting in net.

No, this isn't to point out some sort of record that will be tied or beaten tomorrow with a win, other than then being just one behind Dom, but to point out the inherent pathetic-ness of keeping a Chris Osgood All-Time Wins counter going on your wall. I get to watch that number not go up very quickly every time I leave, come back, make food, or go to the bathroom. But, dammit, I still love Ozzie, so I still keep counting. My roommate thinks the whole thing's a laugh-riot.

No doubt as he suits up for what could potentially be the Hasek-passing move into the definitive number 10 spot (390), Ken Daniels will CURSE HIM TO LOSE HIS NEXT 15 GAMES by mentioning it. Ken curses everything. I love him, but if he talked in pregame about the unholy strength of the Wings' lower bodies, by the second period, each and every Red Wing (even the goalie on the bench), Babcock, equipment manager Paul Boyer, former players on other teams, prospects still in Sweden, and Orange Hat Guy would suddenly come down with a case of exploding ankles.

And as we all know, this season Ozzie doesn't need the Daniels Curse to help him let goals in.

Um... but I'm keeping positive thoughts.

0 comments: